I have been spending a lot of time getting the boys - JT and Thomas - into a reasonable routine. While Thomas naps throughout the day, I can expect to get both boys down for sleeping for up to an hour and half in the afternoon everyday. A glorious hour filled with letting the dogs out, prepping dinner, and everything else I didn't get done before. That being said, I am starting to get antsy that I am not in great shape anymore (and I still have preggo weight laying around my joints).
So I am committing myself to a couple of things-
Short term: 30 Day Plank Challenge
After 2 c-sections my abdominals are a mess. My core is more aptly a bowl of jelly. So to whip my belly into shape, I am following along
I have done day 1. My abs could manage the 20 seconds barely. My arm muscles on the other hand, ouchies! I thought my mommy arms from lugging around my 12 pound and 25+ pound children would have helped me out here. I hope completing this will help my two longer term goals.
Long term: Pilates
Pregnancy really messes with your joints. So I have slowly starting doing my old floor routine again. I am only doing about 5 exercises right now but every week I start to add another exercise into the rotation. It provides a good stretch and allows me to strengthen and tone my entire body.
Long term: Disneyland Half Marathon (August 2014)
After JT was born, I chose to work my way to completing a 10K (6.2 miles) race, which boasted free beer and pizza at the finish line for participants. It was a lot of fun and it kept me motivated to work out - even through the 6 mile workouts pushing JT in the stroller. This time I have upped the ante. Maybe someday I'll even try a full marathon. Thankfully this one is about a year away. I have a bit more time to get mileage under my belt and ensure that I don't injure myself. Right now, I have a 1, 2, and 3 mile walking route with the boys and there are still 3 more months before I can safely run with Thomas in the double stroller.
Just keep plugging away!
That is a pretty grueling schedule. What are planks? I could probably use that type of workout on my abs too.
ReplyDeleteSo when in August is the marathon.
Mom
A plank is pretty much a push up...but without the pushing: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm
DeleteI just hold it for as many seconds as they say for the day. You can do reps but doing just one seems to be more than enough for me right now.
The half marathon is August 31, 2014 - so I should be ready by then I think.