I have successfully managed to get my internet situation all worked out. We will glaze over the fact that I have been inadvertantly (probably more like advertantly) accessing a not password protected wireless network for the past year - and jump to the fact that I feel like an adult for having done this all myself - outside of several rantings to the parents about the insanity of it all.
The whole situation made me feel really disconnected from everything - work that needed to be accomplished online for my classes (not that I really enjoy assigning work online for my students but alas), communication with Andrew, paying bills, wedding planning (yes i do a lot of legwork by checking information out on line), general email, accessing news (yes i have a perfectly good television - but I'm not a fan of news bias), my favorite checking the weather (which should be easy seeing as a have a perfectly good balcony to step out onto). I also felt like I lacked some sort of basic human knowledge on how to lead my life without the gateway of the internet.
I believe what made all of this seem even more out of proportion is the fact that this week was the first full week of classes - I had so many little tasks to get done - I was exhausted by Monday afternoon. What's worse - to use the internet I needed to be in my office at school - and yeah offices are great - but they are in no way comfortable. I feel like I was on the verge of becoming sick from stress and overworking myself. I think that I have calmed down. At the very least this weekend is a long weekend and I should be able to relax.
Sad note: This week two very very close people have decided to put their pets to sleep. Both pets lived long lives - about 17 years in each case. It makes me think about Kona - and even though I'm not there - what a wonderful dog he is. That throughout high school - I would wake up early and he would sit in my lap and watch some silly cartoons before I had to head out. That when I would have the house to myself for a couple of days - Kona always made it a point to fall asleep in my room so I wasn't by myself (not to mention make sure i got up at the crack of dawn by jingling his collar and jumping onto my bed). Pets are so wonderful like that. They make you feel like you are a part of something - or a Cesar Millan would say - part of the "pack" and being part of the pack is all you needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment