Beef and Mushroom Stir Fry

A while back, my hubby purchased me a wok.  I do not use hardly as frequently as I should.  Probably because using a wok requires really good timing.  I don't usually cook quickly.  Five minutes to done kinda scares me.  But we have a hard time getting good chinese food around here.  So, I tried my hand this week at a basic stir-fry.

Beef and Mushroom Stir Fry
adapted from The Everything Chinese Cookbook

Ingredients
1/2 pound stir-fry beef
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp oil for stir-frying
1 clove garlic, smashed
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1/2 tsp sugar

Steps:
1.  Add soy sauce , cornstarch, and baking soda to the meat in that order.  Use your hands to mix in the cornstarch and baking soda.  Marinate for 30 minutes.
2.  Add vegetable oil, and marinate for another 30 minutes.
3.  Add oil to a preheated wok.  When oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry until aromatic.
4.  Add the beef, laying it flat.  Let it cook for a minute, turn over and brown on the other side.  Begin stir-frying.
5.  Before meat it nearly cooked, remove from wok to a paper towel lined plate.  Add mushrooms to wok and stir-fry.
6.  When mushrooms begin to brown, return meat to wok.  Add rice wine and sugar.  Stir-fry until meat is fully cooked.

Finished Product:

For all of my fears of quick cooking, it turned out really well.  Plus, I managed to make fried rice at the same time.  They nearly finished cooking simultaneously.  I was really proud of myself.  Lesson learned, don't be scared of the wok!

No comments:

Post a Comment