Slow Cooker Chicken Makhani

In the next few years, our little family will be heading to India.  Believe me, it is weird that we know where we are heading over the next couple of years - since with the army the mentality is more - "wait for it....wait for it...oh we wanted you to be at x-y-z location a week ago".  To prepare us for the all of the new adventures to come, I have done a few things - 1. got Hindi language software for me to work at home (goodness knows I am a whiz at foreign languages :o( ), 2. hubby got me a starter set of common spices in Indian food, and 3. I received two awesome Indian cookbooks at Christmas.  Since spicy and I do not mix well, I scoured for a simple not so spicy recipe to start with.  Here it is:

Chicken Makhani

Ingredients
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 shallots minced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2" knob ginger, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp fenugreek
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp tomato paste
3/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
Steps
1.  Place chicken and all ingredients except the yogurt into slow cooker.  Stir well.
2.  Cook on LOW for 5 hours.
3.  When finished, add yogurt and serve immediately.
The Final Product

First, let me note some things that I did slightly differently.  I used just over a pound of chicken tenderloins, 1/2 of one small onion minced, and just about a 1/2 tsp of minced ginger (I have a little jar of minced ginger and I honestly didn't know how much a 1/2" knob of ginger was equivalent too).  Even though I am here in Kansas, I was able to get some ground cloves.  The fenugreek, thankfully, my hubby got as part of my spice set.

I thought it was really tasty.  It was just enough spice for me.  Now Kansas is not known for Indian food - so I do not have any way to say...go to an Indian restaurant to compare what I made.  But I enjoyed it so I think that is all that really matters.

Now, I usually don't let anyone else play around in my kitchen unsupervised.  My husband really wanted to try his hand at Naan bread.  He researched it, found a recipe he liked, and went to work on it.  I have not even really read the recipe for it yet.  This was his second attempt and I thought it was really yummy.  JT loves to eat it so I guess my hubby has the recipe down.  I won't mess with it.  He can make it anytime he wants then.

No comments:

Post a Comment