Catch Up

Since this whole second pregnancy thing got started, I have been quite bad about posting.  We have a fun little weather even coming up so, I am hoping to play a little catch up on some recipes.  I have couple of new ones that we have tried out that have turn out well and one, well, not so well but I won't post it to save you the attempt of trying it.

Random Concoction

I decided one night that I had these nice beef steaks - perfect for grilling.  The packaging was all sorts of misleading - the shape made them seem like steaks.  Once I opened the packaging, I found that it was steak pieces.  Would have been great for stew - except, yeah, I already had potatoes boiling in water and breaded broccoli in the oven.

So, I made some stuff up on the fly.  I'll be honest.  I can work a recipe like it's nobody's business.  I even feel comfortable switching out ingredients to obtain new tastes.  But this - this usually doesn't happen.

Quickly, I move the grill pan, which I had heating in preparation of a nice sizzly steak searing, and got out a saute pan.  I whipped out an open carton of beef broth, dumped about a quarter cup into a pyrex measuring cup and began to whisk in some flour to make a little slurry for some thick sauce.  I added the steak pieces to the pan to get the pieces browning.  I think I added another 1/4 cup of beef broth to my slurry before dumping it in my saute pan with my meat.  Then for my stroke of genius - who wants beef pieces with a beef broth sauce, that isn't fun or exciting? - I ran to the fridge and pulled out a container of dijon mustard.  A little mustard goes a long way.  So, I added two little squirts from the bottle and mixed away.


There we have it.  It was edible, HURRAY!  Not to mention it had a nice tangy sauce.  Some mushrooms might be good with it, if I ever decide to do it again.  Although, I don't plan on having to make something like that on the fly again - that's why we meal plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment