Thanksgiving

As we sat down to our Thanksgiving feast, the hubby and I discussed Thanksgivings past.  We had one at his parent's home and several with a very good friend in Kansas.  I have not had to make the entire meal by myself in a very long time.  With two boys who have not had stellar behavior as of late, we decided to keep our affair at home.  With that, I decided to try a new recipe.  Normally, I have done my birds (on occasions other than Thanksgiving) in a roaster oven which is a fantastic tool.  As it was only the 4 of us, (well 3 of us because Thomas is not eating solids yet) I made the call to not cook a full bird.  I decided on turkey breast roasts instead - in the slow cooker!

Bacon Turkey Breast
from Crockin' For the Holidays

Ingredients
1 bone-in turkey breast (or at least 5 pounds with or without skin)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp pepper
1 can turkey gravy
2 1/2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 - 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 tsp rubbed sage
Steps
1.  Rub turkey with garlic, salt, and pepper.
2.  Place in slow cooker.
3.  Mix gravy, flour, Worcestershire sauce, bacon, and sage together.  Pour over turkey.
4.  Cook on LOW for 8 hours.
The Final Product

The entire meal was yummy.  Son number 1 would probably tell you the biscuits were the best part.  The turkey turned out really well.  Next time I might only cook for 7 hours as it was not as moist as I like.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't dry when it came out - just after it was cut it lost a bunch of juiciness.  You can not quite tell from the picture but I complemented our turkey with a green bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and biscuits.  Even better, everything came out at just about the same time.  It made me feel great.  It also got me thinking to a couple of years down the road - will I be able to put together a yummy feast in India?  I guess I will find out in a few years.  This Thanksgiving post is not complete without my two hams:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment