Keep Running!

This week marks the start of training for the Disneyland Half Marathon.  I am very very excited about this.  What better way to start things off then by having this happen:
A good friend, who ran the Big Sur Marathon, which happened today, let me tag along to hear Jeff Galloway speak at marathon expo.  Jeff Galloway ran on the US Olympic team in 1972 - in the 10K event.  He is infectious to listen to.  He is almost 70 - just completed the Boston Marathon last Monday, flew cross country, and ran the Big Sur Marathon today.  Talk about energy.

He went on to explain his method of running these long races called the Run-Walk-Run method.  Since I started running in high school, I have only really ever known running all out.  What is this "walking breaks" nonsense?  But after listening to him speak, I am pretty convinced that this will help keep me running (bum knee and all) for a long time.  I also got a chance to ask him about running with two boys in a stroller.  He said wow! His wife was the one who got that lucky job.  He said to keep at it and if possible try to do the long runs with them if they stay happy in the stroller.  "It will make your half marathon seem really easy if you run it without them". ::wink::

So I have picked out my training schedule - "just finish" and not for time.  I think I can do pretty well time wise even if I don't try to go for speed.  I know it won't be anywhere near as fast a high school (not that I was exactly fast) but I would be happy with a 10 minute pace.  On the "off" days I hope to get in some sort of abs/arms routine, pilates, or a light walk with the dogs.  This way maybe I can improve my fitness level.

Hey, maybe this training will knock the last of the baby weight?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment