Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup

I am amazed to have landed on two great slow cooker recipes in a row.  I adapted this one slightly from FamilyFreshMeals.com.  I did come up with some ideas for next time as well.

Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup
adapted slightly from FamilyFreshMeals.com

Ingredients
28 oz chicken broth
12 oz beer
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cornstarch
Steps
1.  Mix first 9 ingredients together in your crockpot.  Cover and cook on LOW for 6 - 8 hours.
2.  When done cooking, stir in cheese and heavy cream until the cheese is melted.
3.  Whisk in cornstarch.  Cover and cook for 30 minutes on HIGH.
4.  Smooth soup by blending in batches in blender or use an immersion blender.
The Final Product

It must be good when this kid likes it so much that it drips all over his shirt.
This soup tasted fantastic.  I used a bottle of Kona Brewing Co's Big Wave Golden Ale.  It was so cheese-y and beer-y (can I just make that a word?) that I wish that I had some hard pretzels to dip in the soup.  Everyone loved it, so clearly there were no leftovers, which incidentally left me with the only option of getting pizza for dinner tonight.  There was only one note for the next time we make it - and yes, there will be lots of next times.  The soup did thicken up but not as much as I had anticipated.  So next time, I might only use 1 can or 1.5 cans of chicken broth to get a thicker soup.  I also learned that I need an immersion blender - using the blender was fine but it allowed the soup to cool a bit much for my taste.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment