Ahem, Message for Mr. Rogers

Yesterday's Mr. Rogers quote:

Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.

Unfortunately Mr. Rogers....you are wrong. You can check to see if sets are equally infinite by determining the cardinality (a measure of the number of elements in a set) of the set. If you can create a one-to-one mapping between a set and the set of natural numbers, then we have two sets which are countably infinite, and thus as you say "equally infinite", or countable. If we can't find that relationship, then the set is uncountably infinite, like the real numbers, which is more infinite than the natural numbers.

Mr. Rogers, you need to research a little bit about what you are talking about before you make a blanket statement like that. I've looked up to you for so long, and then you say such a thing like we can't compare two infinite things...you have shaken my faith in you.

I don't know what to do with myself now. My world has been turned upside down. I don't think I can look at Mr. Rogers in the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment