Roller Coaster

Most of you don't know about the Roller Coaster. It is a project we do in Calc 1 labs- design a roller coaster. We give you certain specifics about the coaster you need to meet, you come up with the functions needed to make the roller coaster we want. You get to make a pretty picture of the roller coaster and find out how high the coaster takes you. We don't just throw it at you though, I go through a wonderful, superb, fantastic explanation of a nice simple coaster. Then I pass it off to you to attack. But why did none of my students (well that is wrong I know 2 students who actually followed my advice) believe me that it will take a while to do, that you should start it early? Have I ever steered them wrong in the past? Do I talk just to hear myself say the words, "Guys this may seem really simple after what I just did, but you are going to need time to finish this. It won't magically code itself up in one night.." Not to mention the fact that I said, "Don't try to catch me Monday night, cause I don't want to hear it...I'm watching 24...just like most of you would/should be doing...if you follow my advice." Oh well, alack...I suppose you can't win them all.

Happy March by the way. Already halfway through the semester. It is unbelievable. That means the semester is halfway done...and in no time it'll be over. More importantly, Andy will be home (April 18- thereabouts he starts his trip back to the States from Iraq). Friday I get to see Suzy. I'm very excited, I am trying to get as much work done this week as possible so that I don't have to do so much work...or take work with me on the plane trip. I'm bringing my camera...I've never been to Pittsburgh...I need to save the sights for posterity. Then the parent's visit on St. Paddy's Day. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing them. I think the space has really helped us have a great relationship recently...oh not to mention they are staying in the hotel down the street...3 people in my apartment is just to crazy and hectic.

I'm still keeping up with going to the gym- albeit, my sleep schedule is sooo messed up I am at the gym at like 6 in the morning. I think the stress is messing with the whole getting a good night's rest. But really I need my soapbox for a moment. What the heck is up with people who drive around looking for a close parking spot to the gym? Are you not going to exercise your little bum off at the gym?? Will it kill you to walk the 20 extra feet cause you didn't get the closest parking space? Doesn't that defeat the whole point?!?!!? Secondly, I know spring break is upon us, but really do you truly believe that you can whip your body into Cancun/skimpy bikini weather shape in just week before break? If you can, I am sure there a ton of people out there who would like to know your secret. Ugh, thirdly, No-one I repeat no one wants to see you and your girlfriend make out at 6:30 in the morning by the elliptical machines. That's just disgusting...think of all the people who have been sweating in the spot, it's almost unsanitary.

But I guess the more important thoughts- I have been thinking long and hard about this. Actually my mom thinks it has to do with Andy being away. Well a little teeny part of it is, but really the majority of it is all me. I think I am not going to push through to the phd. I think I will get my masters, and then either get a job (most likely teaching) or I am considering either a physics or engineering grad program. I have yet to sit down with any homework or problem and feel good when I finished it. Well I feel good because I've stopped pounding my head against the wall, but I don't feel that proud accomplishment of some work completed. I realize that really isn't the best reason not go for the doctorate- but all of my work has no meaning to me...I'm not using it to tackle an interesting problem. I longing for the long days I sat with Scott working on our physics research- as much as I wanted to shoot Mathematica for taking hours to compute what I asked...only to find out I had messed it up in the first place. But at least I was doing something that I could say I was interested in. But who knows...I could be looking at it totally the wrong way- I could just not be cut out for grad school period. I feel like I am stuck though, I like math to work out problems affecting how people live, work, play...I thought applied math would be a good way to go. But maybe my premises were wrong. Maybe since I enjoy the physical aspects I should have gone Mathematical Physics route. But I will complete what I do here. There is no mistaking that. I never hand in work that is not my best. So I will continue here, but I really feel that this is probably my best road to the future.

Jack is on in about an hour...time to finish up helping the damned roller coasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment