Residues and Residuals

So I have finally gotten myself into a respectable routine. I apologize to everyone who has contacted me recently via email, phone, im, telepathically - I will get in contact with you. I swear.

Yes, Andrew and I got engaged. Sam says I'm not enthused enough. I am very happy, overjoyed - but it got overshadowed by the fact that I knew Andrew was leaving again. But I have gotten myself together again - working on planning the wedding has really helped (not only giving me an excuse to try on expensive pretty dresses), I feel like by accomplishing all these big/little tasks it brings him closer to being home. I need that. But I am torn somewhat because I am not able to discuss all of my frustrations and triumphs with getting things ready in a 25 minute phone call, or emails (absolutely wonderful) but those don't cut it emotionally.

At least while we were both together, we got to decide on date, church, and reception site. Even got the ball rolling at my church - yes Roman Catholics do have a bunch of things to do : apply to the church, do FOCCUS, marriage prep sessions, and meetings with the pastor. I'm glad Andrew was around for that. I seem to have trouble doing the big decisions, I always get caught up in the little details of things. Now it is just a matter of everything else - gowns, bridesmaids, groomsmen, save the dates, invitations, thank yous, registries, caterers, photographers, favors, djs, bridal showers, bachelor/ette parties, flowers, linens, silverware, god knows there is probably more. No wonder people make a ton of money in the wedding industry. I think they just make up stuff as tradition so that people will buy into it.

But as you can imagine - working all of that out is a tad bit more enjoyable than all the information I should be studying for my qualifying exams in August. It is a it tougher since I am in South Carolina and nowhere near Jersey. I talked to a dj last night (no, actually he called me - i did not make first contact) and he wanted to know when I could come and see all the dj's. I tried to tell him I'm not at the dj stage and I'm nearly 700 miles away. But it didn't stop him at all. "When will you be back?" "Maybe....October." "oh" "I can't come back any earlier - I'm teaching in July through August, the next semester starts in August - my first free long weekend is in October". Really - they expect me to drop three to four hundred bucks on a plane flight every time I need to see a florist, photographer, or a dj, then they are freakin' nuts. Oh well, I suppose I will be very very busy when I go home in October.

Happier note - Mom agreed to come down middle of July to come dress shopping with me, Amanda, Amanda's mom, and Mrs. Sawyer in Charlotte. Keep your fingers crossed that I find "the dress". I don't want to get scolded by any more bridal boutique attendants that I should be buying my dress - right now for it to be ready in time for my wedding.

I suppose I should do something productive - like stare at the stack of math books I have - maybe something will sink it. Catch ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment