What can I say about winter break. I feel exhausted from traveling everywhere. It was wonderful to see Andy. I think this might have been one of the longest times on record we were both in the same place at the same time. The apartment he has (we will soon have) is very nice - although it may become crowded real quick when I try to get my stuff in there. I need to think of a way to minimize the amount of things I will bring with me - but that is a thought for another time.
We spent most of our family-free time - out shopping and buying necessary home goods. I almost don't want to go out shopping for quite a while. We bought ourselves a tree and ornaments and in a very short time got the apartment in the holiday spirit. It felt very easy and homey. I didn't really miss being at home too much. I did drag Andy to a couple of masses in El Paso. We even managed to make it through the hour and half long Midnight service complete with incense and hundreds of people attending. He survived admirably - with a couple of pokes and prods from me when we were supposed to sit, stand and kneel. Shush, don't tell anyone, but it is probably the most services I've attended in the past year and half. I have been less then a regular attendee at church here in South Carolina. Christmas Day was interesting - we slept a little late, opened presents, and spent the afternoon and evening at a fellow lieutenant's home for dinner. The rest of the evening I omit at the request of Andy.
Andy's parents and his sister showed up for a few days. so we rallied the troops (haha military metaphor) for a couple outings. We visited the White Sands Missile Base to see the museum. I think my favorite was White Sands Monument. I'm glad it was a relatively cool day or else I would have roasted out there on the sand. It was very picturesque (so I took a bunch of pictures and they are up on facebook incase you hadn't seen them). Andy, Trish, and I attended the 2007 Sun Bowl game - well through the beginning of the 3rd quarter. It was a onesided game. :oP We also made a trip out to the racetrack to see some horses run. No, I did not bet on any horses, but I enjoyed watching them.
I even managed to cook a few meals. Mostly staples - chicken and mushrooms, steak and Amanda's brown rice, baked ziti, steak and mashed potatoes, and spaghetti with meatballs and sausages. We found a good butcher that has some really nice meats. Even though all I really know is stick meat in broiler, I'm ready to learn something new. Fun Christmas gift - Entertaining with the Sopranos - which has a lot of Italian recipes that I know of but didn't really know how to make.
I even had some time at home. That was pretty good too. But it also meant getting some wedding things out of the way - setting up the guys' tuxes, and a face to face meeting with the florist. I also got to go a little wedding dress scouting with Beckie who got engaged on Christmas Day (hurray!)
So, winter break recap: I had fun in El Paso, fun at home, and got no work done.
Which leads me to my current stressed out alert level : orange! Moderate to Moderate severe stress building. Watch out for abrupt conversations and the occasional meltdown.
What I plan to accomplish this year - in no particular order:
- teach a class
- finish my wedding planning
- write a Master's thesis
- present said thesis and thankfully not have to defend it in front of lots of math professors
- go to a bunch of weddings! :o)
- stay physically fit
- graduate on time
- get married myself
- do taxes
- move to Texas
- go on a honeymoon?
- move to Oklahoma
- maybe find a job
- start a new knitting project
- learn some new recipes
- complete Super Paper Mario
No comments:
Post a Comment