Root Beer Float Cookies

Recently, my mom was out to visit.  She sent me the link to this intriguing cookie recipe.  We gathered up all the necessary ingredients while she was here.  Unfortunately, her trip ended too soon and we did not have enough time to test out these cookies.  I finally had some time today to get down and dirty with...

Root Beer Float Cookies


Root Beer Cookie Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. root beer extract or concentrate
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Cookie Steps:

1.  Preheat oven to 375º.
2.  In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and root beer extract.
3.  Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.
4.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.


Root Beer Frosting Ingredients:
4 cups powdered sugar (or icing sugar)
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. root beer extract or concentrate
Frosting Steps:

1.  In a mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Beat until smooth.
2.  Frost cooled cookies.

First, I managed to get about 58 cookies.  Based of the original link, I guess I didn't make my cookies to big.  I thought they were pretty substantial when I dropped the dough.
Second, the cookies remind me a lot of the consistency of my favorite Aunt Dora's Love Knot cookies.  They don't sink like chocolate chip cookies.  The cookies sans frosting have a wonderful hint of root beer.  Not at all over powering - which is what I was expecting.
Third, the frosting makes the experience.  The sugar creates that bubbly explosion just like the carbonation of a root beer float.
Just so delicious!  The only downside, JT does not eat cookies, which leaves me with waaaay to many cookies to eat.



1 comment: