Bourbon for Dinner

My brother got my husband a cookbook filled with recipes that all contain bourbon.  We picked out two recipes last night for dinner.  I thought I would be a little overcome with the smell/taste of whiskey but thankfully most of it dissipated with cooking.

Bourbon Ginger Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients
1 package of pork tenderloins
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup bourbon
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tbsp ginger, chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Steps
1.  Place tenderloins in resealable plastic bag.  Mix together remaining ingredients.  Pour into bag and seal.
2.  Place bag in refrigerator for at least 8 hours (overnight is preferable).
3.  Place meat over direct heat on the grill.  Cover and turn every 5 minutes until all sides are browned.
4.  Move to indirect heat and cook another 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
5.  Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.

Bourbon Glazed Carrots


Ingredients
1 pound carrots, sliced in 1/2 inch rounds
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp bourbon
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
Steps
1.  Place carrots in large skillet and cover with water.
2.  Cover skillet and bring to a boil.  Change heat to medium and simmer for 8 minutes.
3.  Meanwhile, mix together remaining ingredients
4.  Drain the water and then place the carrots back in skillet.
5.  Over medium - high heat, cover the carrots with mixture.  Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
6.  Serve hot.

The Final Product
What I liked about this meal is that is was not work intensive.  That being said - there are some things I would adjust next time.  The pork was definitely tasty but it lacked a little sauce.  I whipped out a jar of mustard and that did that trick.  The carrots were yummy and sweet but I am pretty sure I have made similar veggies that had that flavor profile but without the bourbon.  I also feel like the carrots lacked a little kick.  Maybe add some red pepper flakes next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment