We had our first Christmas here in California last month. I am finding that one of the things that I really enjoy about our new stomping grounds is also something that will bother and irk me for the remainder of our time here.
The weather. It is gorgeous. We did have a cold spell where it only got into the mid thirties but it returned back to the 50 - 60 degree range shortly thereafter. In this area there really is no excuse to spend any part of your day indoors. This has been a boon for me as I try to exercise my way back to pre-pregnancy form. It also means JT can get a chunk of his energy out running through the playground. Since downsizing our home, there is not a whole lot of space that he can call his own. Not to mention Thomas is starting to grow, grow, GROW and he is impinging on JT's space.
But for my entire life, I equate cold, blustery, and snow with winter and Christmas. It is hard to think holiday spirit when it is 50 degrees, the sun is shining, and there is no snow in sight. It made me rethink our usual decoration scheme. We went minimal is year and that was partly to blame. Usually the onset of cold weather ignites an urge for baking - a lot of it. I made one batch of chocolate chip cookies (just in time to leave them out for Santa!). I even tried making myself drink hot cocoa but to no avail.
I am going to try to keep my hopes up that next year will be different. Maybe we will get a cold spell right around Christmas to jump start my holiday spirit - or maybe we will head back east for some cold weather. Not sure if I could make California a permanent home without it.
No comments:
Post a Comment