I did run into a bit of a snag. We had enough for leftovers later this week - even with JT gulping down an adult size portion of it. There was enough mashed potatoes to split between us but the gravy, which I sadly make via the packet-water-boil method, was finished. To make matters worse, I had no additional gravy packets.
What's a gal to do? Time to make something up on the fly because I am not trucking both boys out on a search for gravy packets. Here it is:
Meatloaf Gravy
Ingredients2.5 tbsp butterSteps
1/2 tsp Penzey's Beef soup base
2 tbsp flour
1 cup beef broth
water
1. Bring a small fry pan to medium heat. Add butter and soup base to warmed pan and mix with a whisk.The Final Product
2. Slowly add flour, whisking while you do so.
3. Allow the flour to brown.
4. Add beef broth and bring to a boil.
5. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes allowing the gravy to thicken. You may want to add a bit of water to get it to the consistency you desire.
My apologies for the lack of picture. It turned out pretty yummy and provided the moisture the meatloaf needed after it had been microwaved. I might try adding some spices next time but it stood up on it's own. I am just proud that it turned out so well and I didn't screw up royally. I hope this helps you if you are ever stuck in a gravy pinch - I might just make gravy this way from now on to save some money on those gravy packets.
No comments:
Post a Comment