I have reached a point where mommy wants - needs - space and activities that engage and entertain my brain. So I decided I would like to get back into the work force. Below are a few of things that I did to help my searching:
1. I signed up at the base Civilian Personnel Advisory Center for a military spouse preference. It essentially bumps your name to the top of the hiring list if (and it is a big if) you can be termed "Best Qualified" for a government position.
2. Dusted off the old resume and gave it a bit of a facelift. I included all of my volunteering time while at Fort Riley to compensate for time gaps.
3. I joined LinkedIn. *I'll be honest - I don't really like having a bunch of social media outlets to have to deal with - but this one is worth it if you are job searching.* I added my now rejuvenated resume to the site and it provides me with job openings that match some of the positions I have previously held.
4. I joined flexjobs.com for one month. Why one month you ask? Because I had managed to get membership discounted to $5. Why flexjobs.com? Because I still have a desire to "be at home" with my boys. I want to have the flexibility and freedom to deal with the little things or - in JT's case - catastrophes as they arise. I do not want to have all of my earnings go straight to a daycare service. So flexjobs.com provides a lot of positions that give you the freedom to work remotely.
I hope some of these tips can help you out if you are looking to re-enter the workforce.
No comments:
Post a Comment