So, I am a liar. I lied in my last post, I didn’t follow up. I lied a couple of posts back about how January was going sooo well. I’ve been lying to myself for a long time. But holy cow, I don’t think I have written anything of substance for a long time, maybe that is due to something else that is going on.
A couple of weekends ago, I made my first trip down to Blacksburg to drop my brother off at school. It was quite an adventure. Virginia Tech is gorgeous. Large, but absolutely beautiful. To meet it felt like Dickinson on a grander scale. The campus was divided much like in Carlisle. One half contained all of the dormitories and the student center. While the other half contained amazing academic buildings. I suppose what made me think of Dickinson was the simple fact that the buildings’ outer façade was made of limestone. I didn’t get an in-depth tour but I really only had 6 hours there. I’ll be the first to admit it. I miss my lil’ bro. Just so much more laughing when he is around. He won’t be back home until May when the semester is over (maybe not if my mother has anything to do about it). We joked about how when I do the whole grad school, he would be all about joining me in an apartment down there. ‘Twould be fun. Besides, apartments down there are uber cheap.
I believe that I’ve collected my list of graduate schools that I think might work for me. I still need to work it down some, even though I have a pretty good idea for sure of a couple of them.
Princeton (Program of Applied and Computational Math)- that’s a heck of a reach
Duke- You all know my affinity for Duke basketball, who happen to be one of 3 unbeaten teams at the moment- ranked number 2 in the nation.
VT- dirt cheap program not to mention, it has a great ranking in US News
Lehigh- where I wanted to go as an undergrad, somewhat close to home, know the area pretty well
Clemson- it popped up in one of my many searches
Cornell- good school, it’ll stay on the list until I make a real decision about whether or not I want to deal with more cold for the next 4-6 years.
UNC- miss liz bouzarth goes there, which gives me reason at least to consider it
NC State- family friends go to school there…
UMBC- I debated applying here as an undergrad
Rutgers- it is 5 minutes from my house, what have I got to lose right?
If anyone could let me know how small I should cut this list that would be greatly appreciated. Also, any help on explaining to me the whole personal statement business, I would be forever indebted.
The semester has picked up again. Nice cause it gives me something do to for 8 hours a day now. All in all I feel like a zombie. I wake up in the morning, breakfast, go to work, come back from work, eat, do pilates, watch tv, go to bed. It doesn’t change, outside of the tv show I watch. Empty. No meaning. Just feel there is really nothing special about life right now. Just not a thing to make living enjoyable, or my own. I can’t think of anything that I can call my own. Pathetic I know. I need to find something. Do not expect big things from this corner all year. If there is, you can be just as surprised as I will be.
Other than that, snow has made me miss Carlisle, and Dickinson, and the only snow day we had. Something about the snow just felt so much more pure there…as opposed to the disgusting stuff we have here. But I was quite happy to see (something which I haven’t seen or experienced since I was about 10) the hordes of small children going to the end of my block for sledding. I was beginning to think fun things like that had gone out of style. We need to save it. Make sure no one ever forgets to go sledding.
And with that, I leave you for probably another long extended period of time.
No comments:
Post a Comment