Lemon-Thyme Orzo with Green Beans

I really like my go-to Orzo pilaf side with steaks but recently I felt like it needed a little update.  While we lived in Kansas, I took a couple of cooking classes at the local supermarket from this great down to earth chef - Chef Alli.  I recently noticed she had posted a few new recipes on her blog and one in particular using orzo.  So I said what the whooey and gave it a whirl.  Click on the link for her recipe, what I have provided are my adjustments.

Lemon-Thyme Orzo with Green Beans

Ingredients

2 cups chicken broth
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ - ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 cup water
1 cup orzo pasta
1 package frozen steamer green beans, prepared
splash of lemon juice
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper
Freshly shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
Steps
1.  In a deep skillet, bring broth, garlic, red pepper flakes, and water to a boil over high heat; stir in pasta and reduce heat to medium-low.
2.  Simmer until nearly two-thirds of liquid is absorbed by pasta and orzo is beginning to look creamy, stirring occasionally, for approx. 10-12 minutes.
3.  Stir in green beans, lemon zest, thyme, salt, pepper, and cheese.  Take off heat, allowing mixture to thicken.
My apologies in not have a picture to end with.  The side really hit the spot for us.  Not to mention it added a quick veggie to our meal (since I am always bad about including the veggies).  JT liked it so much - he actually preferred to pick out the green beans to eat first.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment