I am still sick. Still going to work because I feel horrible leaving this group with a substitute unless I really have to - like on Friday when I have to go for a day long seminar.
But the topic for today's post is the interesting debate that my 6th hour class got into. No - it has nothing to do with mathematics. Apparently while I had been reviewing the topic of lines, which I assure you is not a light subject, my students got into a bit of a debate about STDs - specifically gonorrhea. The group was good enough to let me finish my review before attacking me with this lively debate and asking for my opinion.
Do boys get gonorrhea?
The boys say no, the girls retort yes - how can a girl get gonorrhea from sex if her partner didn't have it before?
For some reason, I get to be the tie breaker. I tell them girls get it and boys get it, although it can lay dormant in boys for longer than it would in girls. I really think you should discuss this with your health teacher.
Can we go to see the health teacher? But what about getting it from a toilet seat? Yeah, what about toilet seats?
Yes, you can catch it from a toilet seat. The disease has a certain length of time before it "dies" from being in the air too long. The disease likes fluids. Why don't you go see the health teacher?
We really can?
:::sigh::: Yes go see the health teacher. (A group of 4 go.)
They all come back so happy and proud of themselves spouting out std statistics. And proud of me - seems I know a thing or two about "stuff".
Nice way to end the day even if I don't feel well.
No comments:
Post a Comment