Day 207 - Of a Girl and Her Brother's Hound Dog


My parents' new home is part of a community.  You know, those communities that have age limits from below and do all the landscaping and snow shoveling for you.  It just so happens that their backyard looks out onto a nice little pond.  It is very peaceful.  More peaceful than the road our back yard looks out to, but that is neither here nor there.

It has been a relatively quiet summer.  Well, that is unless Murphy is howling.  The picture above is Murphy, my brother's hound dog/beagle mix.  I think he is more coon hound than beagle.  Needless to say, the neighbors are okay with it - but sometimes the Murph-dog's howling can be a bit annoying.

Let us get to the juicy stuff.  I was glad Murphy is staying with my parents.  Why not my brother?  Well, Murphy is there to participate in the Parental Unit run Dog Weight-loss Summer Camp.  By the way, it has been quite effective.  I felt so horrible leaving Silvio at some other boarding place it felt good to have another dog around.

While I was there, the Canadian geese arrived at the pond.  There were a total of 23 of them.  They arrived mid-morning on the day of my goddaughter's christening.  We returned from the christening to find that the geese had made themselves at home.  They were eating and pooping and swimming and pooping.  Doing whatever they please.  This large group had separated into a group of 17 and a group of 6 on opposite ends of the pond.

After feeding Murphy, I take him for a walk out back.  He howled.  He crouched down as if he was going to attack.  Then he gave 3 more howls.  The group of 17 began flapping their wings and took off.  I noticed the 6 geese that were left over on the other side of the pond.  They apparently did not pay much attention to their friends leaving.  So I ask Murphy if he wants to get those last stragglers.   He gives me that look that says - yeah, lemme at 'em.  We start to run around the edge of the pond.  The remaining geese start to get anxious.  Honking ensues and they begin to move in the opposite direction as we make our way closer.  Two howls and the remainder of the geese take off.

The neighbors come out applauding.  Murphy, we knew that barking would be good for something.

But the next day a new group descends onto the pond.  A small group of about 14 geese.  We wait until the afternoon to go for round two.  This time we had a little help.  Since the neighbors had noticed how well Murphy had done yesterday, there was another dog, Muffin, already out walking around the pond.  So these geese were already a little on edge - moving in the opposite direction of where Muffin was.  Murphy makes his way outside giving a few barks.  These geese seem less intimidated.  Muffin moves around to our side of the pond and all of a sudden the geese make a beeline to the opposite side of the pond.  We leave them for few minutes.  Then we walk, Murph dog being very interested, towards the new goose position.  I imitate a howl and the geese all turn their heads at me.  One even stands on a rock and starts flapping his wings like get out of here girl.  But it was just enough to set Murphy off into his stance and three long howls.  Bye bye Geese.

It was so great to Murphy in action.  I've never really seen a dog doing anything remotely close to what they are bred for except on television.  It was exhilarating.  I almost wish I could take a class on how to give them commands.  I think Murphy would seriously enjoy doing that sort of work.  It really isn't something I would expect Silvio to be able to do.  But I love my Silvio.  It was just a special time with me and Murphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment