Day 214

Well I am starting to feel the crunch.  I finished my required teacher float day in the building.  I find it a little absurd with all the construction going on.  Sometimes the network works, sometimes the air conditioning works, sometimes my stapler works...  Yes I throw in the stapler because I spent an hour and half decorating a 5 x 4 bulletin board.  This shouldn't be a hard task but the stapler inevitably would jam every third time I pressed down on it.

On the upside, my classroom is relatively ready to go - with the exception of my projector.  I can get away with not using the first few days - but I need to scrounge up an extension cord (which disappeared sometime over the summer) and put the whole thing back together again.  I spent today proofing my Expectations and Policies and its corresponding homework assignment.  I mapped out the first few weeks - through the first chapter test.  I plan on giving a pre-assessment to see if I will need to review how to solve linear equations and the like.  I have one from last year that I gave to my Geometry class.  I am pretty sure I could get away with giving both the Geometry and Algebra 2 classes the same pre-assessment.  I need to go through it though and make some adjustments though.  I'd really like to speed through the first chapter without hitting any major road bumps in both classes - it should help greatly.  All that leaves left to do is actually write out some lessons for my Algebra 2 classes.  Thankfully, I have a binder filled with every lesson I ever did last year in Geometry - including worksheets and notesheets I handed out.  So score on not having to do work on that front.  In that respect, this year should be infinitely easier than last year.  I can bust out lessons like nobodies beeswax if need be plus this group of students should be able to handle doing homework out of the book.  No more sitting at the copy machine every morning to make 60 copies of the homework.

I am intrigued by the Algebra 2 book.  Almost like I was the Geometry book last year.  I had not done any geometry in almost 10 years - since I took it in high school.  The only thing I remember about it is having to explain things to the rest of the class because our teacher that year was :oP.  I'll leave it at that.  I don't remember much about Algebra 2 either - except that I took it with a teacher who was in fact shorter in stature than I was.  God, that made me feel good.  I know we learned about a whole bunch of different functions but that's about it.  It will be neat to talk about lines, quadratics, polynomials, matrices, logs, exponentials, rational, radical, piecewise, inverse, conic sections, some probability, and some sequences and series.  Hold Moly - did I say sequences and series?  That should be fun - like calculus fun.  Now that I write that all out - I have no idea how I will cover all of it.  I guess I need to try to fit six topics into this very short 1st semester and the move like heck through the rest of it.  Tomorrow starts the lesson writing insanity!

Other news - I'm pretty sure Silvio picked up a cold at this new place I boarded him at.  His breathing sounds all "stuffy" like if you had a stuffy nose.  Plus, his nose is running and that means he is creating these funny snot bubbles.  Plus, he seems very tired and has shorter bouts of energetic running around.  I might be calling up the vet if it doesn't improve.  :o(

No comments:

Post a Comment