Frustrated Son

My son was born nearly 4 weeks early.  With the exception of his time at the NICU, a herniated belly button, and a bit of reflux, I can not really complain.

The doctors warned that he would be behind his peer babies developmentally for a little while.   Whatever a three month old should do, John would be performing at two month old levels.

At his 4 month immunizations, we had to fill out a little form indicating what functions John had mastery of.  Apparently, screaming your little head off is not one of them.  They said it would be totally fine if we had to stop on the front page.  John made it to the back of the form and stopped just into the 5 month level skills.

Yes, so you say he is frustrated.  Nothing of what you wrote indicates frustration.  My son likes tummy time but despises the "crawling" motion.  He would much rather stand.  I mean a nearly unaided stand.  His leg muscles are strong enough to support his weight but he needs a bit of help to keep his balance.  I can get away with very little support under his armpits or his now preferred balance assistance method - gripping onto my thumbs.

It is a little disconcerting to see this little not nearly 12 pound kiddo making like he is walking down the street.  Yes, I said walking.  He likes to pick up his feet one at a time in an ambulatory fashion.  Now he gets extremely mad when you do not allow him to stand up and let him take a walk.  I have been getting this face
on more occasions than I would like.  I apologize for the grainyness.  Crying babies won't sit still for a picture for some reason.  So I am stuck between a rock and a crying baby.  I would love to let him walk around - but that requires both hands and all of my attention.  We have a great exersaucer but unfortunately JT's legs are not long enough to touch the bottom nor is he heavy enough to cause the springs in it to compress, allowing him to touch the floor.

What is a momma to do?  I guess I will be waiting for JT to get a bit bigger.  It also means I get to see a lot more of that oh so adorable angry frustrated face.

No comments:

Post a Comment