Slow-Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients:2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
⅔ cup flour, divided
1 cup frozen peas
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
2-⅓ cups chicken broth, divided
Quick biscuits, optional
salt and pepper, to taste
Steps:
1. In a medium bowl, coat cubed chicken with 1/3 cup flour; place in slow cooker.
2. Add peas, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper and bay leaf; stir in 2 cups chicken broth. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours.
3. Remove bay leaf and discard. Combine remaining 1/3 cup flour and 1/3 cup chicken broth, stirring until smooth. If cooking on LOW, turn heat to HIGH and stir in flour mixture. Heat an additional 15 minutes or until thickened.
4. Serve over quick biscuits and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
It turned out fantastic. A bit on the peppery side but the hubby likes the heat. I used Penzey's Italian Herb Mix as the seasoning and Pillsbury Buttermilk biscuits. I cooked on low for 7 hours. If you pop the biscuits in during step 3, you have nice warm biscuits ready when the meal is done. Only thing I would do is add a touch more salt.
What made this meal even more fun, someone joined us at the dinner table:
No solid food just yet but hopefully soon. I am excited about trying my hand at baby food.
I am totally clipping this to Evernote. I'm trying to use the crock pot more, too, and I'm looking forward to trying this. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOh I forgot to add: instead of dirtying a bowl to coat the chicken in flour, I just dropped the cubed chicken in a plastic bag with the flour, sealed it up, and shook! One less dish to wash.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely clip away. I like sharing!