Pork Chops on Rice
Ingredients:
½ cup brown rice
⅔ cup converted white rice
¼ cup butter or margarine
½ cup onion, chopped
14 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained
1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
½ teaspoon rubbed sage
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 boneless pork chops, 3/4" to 1" thick
10 ½ ounces beef consomme
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Steps:
1. Spray inside of stoneware with nonstick cooking spray. Combine white and brown rice with butter in skillet.
2. Saute over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until rice is golden brown.
3. Remove from heat and stir in onion, mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Pour rice mixture into stoneware. Arrange chops over rice.
4. Combine consomme and Worcestershire sauce and pour over chops. Combine remaining thyme, paprika, and nutmeg; sprinkle over chops.
5. Cover and cook on LOW 7–9 hours (HIGH: 4–5 hours).
The finished product:
Normally, I shy away from recipes with a long ingredient list. But I realized that most of it was herbs and spices. Those are no biggies. Until I checked my drawer of spices and herbs. I guess I do not really cook recipes with thyme, or sage, or nutmeg, or even paprika. This called for a food shopping trip. It also meant that the taste of the dish will be something new. It opened up a whole new flavor experience for me.
It was really quite tasty. My only reservations are that food was turned out this dark brown color and that the one inch chops really shrunk over the course of cooking on low for seven hours. But it is so yummy that I can overcome these and add this recipe to my cookbook.
Speaking of my cookbook - I have been really awful with data entry. So I might take a couple of days off of blog posting to type in my recipes. Check in with you in a few!
Normally, I shy away from recipes with a long ingredient list. But I realized that most of it was herbs and spices. Those are no biggies. Until I checked my drawer of spices and herbs. I guess I do not really cook recipes with thyme, or sage, or nutmeg, or even paprika. This called for a food shopping trip. It also meant that the taste of the dish will be something new. It opened up a whole new flavor experience for me.
It was really quite tasty. My only reservations are that food was turned out this dark brown color and that the one inch chops really shrunk over the course of cooking on low for seven hours. But it is so yummy that I can overcome these and add this recipe to my cookbook.
Speaking of my cookbook - I have been really awful with data entry. So I might take a couple of days off of blog posting to type in my recipes. Check in with you in a few!
No comments:
Post a Comment