Crazy Polenta Concoction

A few months ago I tried my hand at making polenta.  In case you don't know, polenta is primarily just cornmeal boiled in milk.  I had seen it done at a class I had taken at the local Hyvee.  It turned out alright but polenta always seems bland to me.  I needed, well, wanted to kick it up a notch.  I think I found my answer to bland polenta.  Here is my concoction:

 

Creamy Mexican Polenta

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of milk

At least 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth

1 bay leaf

1 cup white cornmeal (not quick cooking)

6 oz of white Mexican dipping cheese

 

Steps:

1. In a medium saucepan, bring milk, 1 1/2 cups of broth, bay leaf, and cornmeal up to a boil.

2. Reduce heat to simmer.  Stir frequently, adding more broth if mixture becomes to thick.  Cook a total of 30 minutes (includes time brought up to boil).

3. After 30 minutes, add Mexican dipping cheese.  Mix well and serve.

 

The spiciness of the cheese (ours had jalapeños in it) really made this side enjoyable.  The cheese also made the polenta a lot smoother than usual.  Try it for yourself!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment