Calling Cards

The Hubby's move to a functional area - Foreign Area Officer (FAO, pronounced "fay-o") - has brought along a load a new learning experiences for the both of us.  It has put a new spin on the Army experience.

For me, it means a couple of things (learning a language(s), upping my game in conversation settings, etc.) but I really only want to focus on one aspect of courtesy and protocol - the Calling Card.

In this day and age, literally everyone has a cellular device.  I find it easiest to just add a person/business contact right to my phone as I meet them.  I know I won't forget it if it is on my phone already.

Thus far in our army experience, I have had very few encounters with people using calling cards.  The spouses club at Fort Riley had cards made up for the board members. I rarely used mine but I did hand a few out or use them to jot other useful information down for people (webaddresses, etc since I was the webmistress for two years).

We attended a mock embassy reception as part of the introduction course.  This was the first event that I have gone to where the calling card really got put to use.  For nearly two hours, I did not see a cellular device out at all (okay, I snuck mine out of my purse to check a text from our babysitter).  There was a lot of mingling and I noticed a lot of exchanging of cards, well more so than I usually do at a military event.  I even received a few cards from spouses and I felt rather behind the times because I had no cards.

I feel the need to rectify this situation but I am somewhat at a loss.  What exactly do I put on my personal calling card?  Clearly, my name but what about other information?  I do not have a home business (which I think would make this much easier to deal with), I am not volunteering, and I am no longer actively working as a licensed teacher (although my license is still valid for a few more years).  I work hard at home with my son, well soon to be, sons.  Having a relatively blank card with just my name is somewhat ridiculous and I don't feel adding "Stay-at-home mom" or "Homemaker" really makes the situation any better.  I feel I should put some method of contact - be it phone or email - on the card but I am uncomfortable just giving that information out unless I have had some in depth conversation with a person.  Maybe I should create a separate email address just for my calling card to keep my FAO acquaintances in area that won't overlap with my personal/family correspondence.  If you have any tips, I would appreciate them. Or I might just have to go with the blank, name-only style calling card.

No comments:

Post a Comment