Moving

It is that time of the year in the military - the time for PCS-ing or moving to a new duty station.  This is the first year in a long while that we have had the chance to participate in the spring/summer move bonanza. After four years in one location, it really is quite a shock to see how your family has grown roots in that spot. 

We forged so many new friendships.  It feels overwhelming to be back at square one again.  Not that we are really back at square one, just that new location means finding new "here" friends. With all the moving, I am pretty sure we will run into our "Ft. Riley" friends again at some new locale.  Not to mention all this great social media lets us interact across the miles.

All the "stuff" we have.  The packers and movers transported nearly 11.5 thousand pounds of stuff.  Plus, we loaded almost another thousand into our two vehicles.  I thought I had done a decent job of purging but now that we are settling into our new home - it might just have to happen again.  I don't know how we managed to squirrel away all of it.  Given the hubby's new job, I think I might spend the time we have here in a constant purge state - there is no way all of this is coming with us to a foreign country!

The paperwork - and I don't mean the paperwork for selling a house, that is a different can of works.  The paperwork, phone calling, documenting of every service - utilities, magazines, banking, credit cards, heck online ordering - that needs to get updated with new addresses or to get cancelled.  It is one heck of a storm.  I am so glad it is over.

The uncertainty of your new location.  None of the roads are familiar - when getting from point A to point B, you pray you don't cut off the wrong the people because you just don't know that that turn comes up so quickly, or that a merge lane ends in 20 feet and really should not be considered a merge lane.  Not being able to get a pizza from your go to pizza place.  Okay, I guess that is a function of being pregnant and tired - but trying out different pizza joints and their pricing can be daunting.  I need a good pizza joint.  Thankfully, it only took two attempts to find our place!

Resetting a new home.  You need to go out and get all those essentials - like soap, toilet paper, towels, salt, tea, coffee, etc - all those things we had in our old house.  The whole system needs to get restarted. Not to mention the usual daytime routines - getting the dogs used to a new yard and especially, JT getting used to his new surroundings.  Things are just not quite the same as they were in KS.

Now that we are here, life is returning somewhat to normal.  I won't lie - moving was a big time stress for me, especially while pregnant.  I did not get much sleep.  I get a bit more now that we are settled.  I would avoid doing this ever again while pregnant.  We have begun exploring and are very happy that our new home is situated where there seems to be events going on all the time.  There is more to come - and probably a photo dump too.  Unfortunately, my computer is still sitting in it's box. We have ordered a new desk for it.  When it arrives, I can hook up the nice camera a put up some photos of some beautiful places.

No comments:

Post a Comment