Chicken Stir Fry

For one of the first meals in our new home, I decided to fight the urge to make the same old same old.  New house, new recipe!  Now that we are out on the west coast, everything seems to have a more asian flair to it.  So, I decided to try a chicken stir fry.

Basic Chicken Stir Fry

Ingredients
1 lb chicken meat
2 tbsp oil
1 garlic clove
2 think slices of ginger
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Steps
1.  Cut chicken pieces into cubes or slices - get them to be all about the same size, so they cook at the same rate.
2.  Add oil to a preheated wok.  When the oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger.  Stir fry until they become aromatic.
3.  Add the chicken and stir fry until it changes color.
(4.  Since I had some veggies laying around, I removed the chicken and added the veggies.  Stir fry them for a few minutes.  I added the chicken back in after step 5.)
5.  Add the chicken stock, rice wine, sugar, and salt.  Mix.
6.  Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through.

The Finished Product

It turned out pretty yummy.  I wish the sauce had gotten a bit thicker.  Nonetheless, the sauce was not overpowering, which I was a little worried about.  The veggies came out tender and not wimpy. (I have made stir fries where I let the veggies go a little too long.  Wimpy veggies just are not fun.)  I look forward to trying it again - not sure what I would add to the sauce to make it thicken but it is something I will look into.

No comments:

Post a Comment