In an attempt to become more of a local, we have taken to listening to the area radio stations instead of satellite radio while we are driving around town. One fateful lunch hour, we stumbled across Food Fodder on KRML (it's a cute call name since the radio station is in Carmel, CA).
One of the regular contributors was on a whirlwind East Coast foodie trip - hitting up the big cities by checking out the food scene. The topic of discussion that lunch hour was to compare and contrast some of these larger cities to the food scene here in Monterey. A statement that came out really hit my funny bone - or more like my sarcastic bone. They were comparing the food scene in New York (they snuck San Francisco in there as well) to Monterey.
"You know you just can't get Peruvian food here. I mean to get something decent you need to drive to at least San Francisco."
PALM to FACE. Oh goodness. I couldn't help myself - I nearly spit out the water I was drinking. I wish I could have called the station right then and there. After four years in the middle of Kansas, I am pretty much in food/restaurant heaven here. In Kansas, we were all excited for the arrival of the Olive Garden and LongHorn Steakhouse. I would have to plan special trips to Topeka to get some seafood at the Red Lobster. (There were a couple of great restaurants - like Harry's, Della Voce, or Little Apple Brew Co., Umi's - don't get me wrong here!) But here, you have a long list restaurants that are American, Italian, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Thai, etc. Hell, if you can't find a good Seafood joint, I am pretty sure the fish will jump out of the bay and give you a good fin-slapping. I am not quite sure how these contributors would have fared in Middle America.
But I did learn something - I won't get Peruvian food here, I'll need to drive to San Francisco.
No comments:
Post a Comment