Yeah. That is what I'm doing right now. I should really be in bed, sleeping so I can tackle tomorrow's problems. But I must share this, because at the moment, I don't believe I'm equipped or even able to handle this situation. So anyone out there who can give any sort of advice, please do.
There is a young gentlemen at work, who for all intents and purposes is...extremely socially awkward. I would even go as far as say socially inept. I don't know if it is some condition or overall problem, but it isn't the usual shyness. But this guy last semester used to "talk" with one of my coworkers about how his life is going. (She used to work at my desk, she has since moved to a different desk.) Anyways, I had heard before about him, and the occasional ummm, crying that had occurred. Recently, this gentleman has started talking to me. The conversations are very...hmmm....disjointed. It takes him a while to either formulate ideas or find the right words to convey his thoughts. I find it hard to keep up even a normal conversation (we all know I'm not that great with conversating, if it's math I'm good, but keeping up normal conversation is difficult for me.) I'm used to being a listener, never really the initiator to help people tell me what they need to say. But today, I experienced the first crying session. I felt horrible and so much like a fish out of water. I didn't know what to do with myself or what to do for him. All I could do was hand over my new box of anti-viral tissues (which he made a large dent in, by the way). But one thing in the whole ordeal really struck me: he said," My parents say I shouldn't cry." In my infinite wisdom, I ask, "Why?" He turns and in this nasty, mean voice, "I don't know why they do that." To which I stopped my line if questions. He several times mentioned how much he disliked his life. *Much of this had to do with some dealings with a girl he was meeting with...* But I felt so odd. I was overload, I don't think I handled it well at all. A half hour he returned to my desk to say that he was happy with things and such.
I guess I'm just worried that I'm doing some sort of damage, that my total lack of being in position to feel like I'm doing something positive will cause the situation to become worse. Not to mention the numerous odd looks I got from the students tutors while the waterworks was going on. I just felt so not in control of what was going on. I just tried my best to get him to calm down. :::sigh::: I guess this will go on for the rest of the semester.
Alright, I can at least be prepared and mildly comforting and not like a deer stuck in the headlights of an oncoming Mack truck like I was today.
Anyways, happy thought-> Something Corporate on Friday!! :::claps as much as she can::: Little bro coming home on Saturday, as well as a much needed haircut (not that that will help my lifeless life anyways)
No comments:
Post a Comment