Columbia: A First Look

This past week I took my first trip down to South Carolina. Twelve hours in the car with Dad was well- a wonderful oldies music sing-fest to be quite honest. We managed to find a couple decent rest stops on the way down that chop up the trip nicely. The regular Strasburg, VA stop (the one we stop at when seeing my bro in Blacksburg) and a second stop in Statesville, NC. So the driving was more like 4.5 hours, 4.5 hours, and another 2.5 hours. What is great is that it one doesn’t have to remember 18 different roads to get from here to there.

Once we got to Columbia, we hit up a restaurant called the Mellow Mushroom that my parents had tried when the stopped in SC a couple of weeks ago. Our waiter actually remembered my father from the previous trip. Food was very yummy. Good pizza joint, which I will need to remember to frequent, not to mention a nice selection of beer. We packed it in early because we were both exhausted.

We started the next day by hitting up the SC bookstore. Yeah, I like bookstores. My father loves bookstores. We got a full complement of head-ware. I got my much wanted Cocks hat. Yes, the hat has the word cocks on it. I am fully aware of that. Also for the giggles, I picked up a shirt that says- Cocky is my homeboy. Yeeaah, the mascot’s name is Cocky the Gamecock.

Apparently, the school was running freshman orientation that day as well. *One of the very many orientation sessions- they run them through the month of June.* You don’t know how tempted I was to just jump right in to one of the tours and feel like a freshie. But I restrained myself, plus I really didn’t have the time before looking at the first apartment.

First apartment- I have one word for it- Dumpy. It was not well kept at all. Yes they had washer/dryers in the units, but they were extremely tiny. By tiny, I mean tiny. I think it was smaller then half of the suite in Witwer sophomore year. Not to mention the fact that I had to pay utilities on top of the rent :oP. I think the only saving grace was the 10 minute walk to the Math building. And even that was bad, because it was almost a 45 degree steep hill to get there.

Second apartment = Great. I am will pay through the nose for it, but it really is great. Fifth floor. Utilities included. 200 square feet bigger than the first apartment I looked at. Parking space, pool, fitness center. There is even a little balcony- maybe I’ll keep a little garden out there. 5 minute walk to the Math Department. Across the street from the police department and the library.

The campus was beautiful. For having made a decision without actually seeing the place I was quite proud of myself. There is green everywhere. Trees, grass- shaded areas. While walking around you could just feel the history *okay maybe, it isn’t quite the right history* but history nonetheless. The buildings just had a character about them- like they had seen just about everything, warm and welcoming. I guess I had almost the same feeling as I used to walk around Dickinson’s campus. There is just a wealth of prior knowledge that you can feel in the campus.

I guess that is my little snapshot of Columbia. I think I will really like it there.

By the way it is really boring here at work. It is very dead. I hope that tomorrow things will be pick up with the start of the second session.

What else is going on- Beckie’s birthday is Wednesday. Hurray birthday!!! Try to hang out with Rusty and Cris- hurray for Cris being up from FL. This weekend is the big Seafood Festival in Belmar. I think I’ll be hitting that up, maybe get some of the gals from work in on the fun too. Maybe I’ll start packing for Texas :::wink-wink:::.

No comments:

Post a Comment