So I am not studying this afternoon.
My parents are stuck in Jersey without phone or internet access because of the huge storm.
I called them to let them know there was a shooting at Virginia Tech. While I was on the phone with them, Matthew called from Switzerland. Thank god he was in Switzerland and not at school. Last semester he was living in the dorm West Ambler Johnston with a sophomore engineering student. If he hadn't gone to the land of the Swiss, he would still have been living there. It is the first place the shooter decided to hit at 7 this morning. The next place they hit was a class in the Engineering building at around 9. I feel absolutely horrible. My parents feels worse because they aren't so much connected to anything.
Thank goodness Matt has been able to get in touch with most of his friends. A good majority of the novice crew team (freshies and soph's that Matt had coached in a couple of races) lived in the same dorm. The only person we hadn't heard anything about is Matt's roommate from last semester. We hope he is alright.
The worst university shooting since 1966 when that crazy dude went up to the Tower of University of Texas and shot like 20 some odd people.
I know this isn't exactly on the same level - but my first reaction was that of Junior year, walking out from Adams Hall on a snowy morning and seeing the police tape around a mound of snow - only to find out one of our own had gone out the 4th floor bathroom window of Drayer.
Now tell me how the hell am I supposed to do any sort of work today.
No comments:
Post a Comment