I downloaded a program a few days ago called Yum. It's a very simple program. I'm guessing from the title you can figure out what it is. It is a recipe program. I guess it is the 21st century solution to having one of those metal boxes filled with recipe cards. Mind you - Yum is free, so it doesn't do anything fancy schmancy.
But I must sing it's praises. I typed in all of my favorite recipes (Sue me - I have like 30 total - I just haven't had the time in grad school to really get to experiment). I don't have to go searching through all of my cookbooks now to find "that" recipe - you know the one with the stuff - from that book. I can put the recipes into categories and also cross reference them - you know like they cross reference books in the library. So when I look for chicken soup I can find it under Chicken recipes or Soups. Even cooler- I get to choose the categories to be whatever my crazy head comes up with. Say you want to make sure you had ingredients for a couple of recipes during the week - you can select the recipes and then print out a shopping list of the necessary ingredients. Very snazzy. My favorite aspect - which I hope to put to use soon, suppose you are in the kitchen. Me - I am constantly moving around - and constantly moving the sheets I have the recipe on too. So I get a tad lost about halfway through my cooking. The program lets you blow up your recipe card like a huge powerpoint presentation on your screen (you know 48 size font) and scroll through the steps without me losing the recipe card or having to squint to read the words - or have to figure out how far I am into the recipe.
So I am amused by it all - and am still looking to add to my new computerized cookbook database. But it is all happening slowly - silly school getting in the way of fun things.
Chat more later. It's late and past my bed time.
No comments:
Post a Comment