Day 193 - Juicy Genetics

Like the alliteration?  I guess it isn't quite alliteration in the spelling sense but phonetically yes.

Yes, I have juicy genetics.  Where in the heck am I taking this?  My skin has always had a way of calling mosquitoes to it.  When I was younger, it was not a big deal.  Yes I got lots of bug bites but nothing to serious.  But I have noticed since I moved to South Carolina four years ago this "situation" has become increasingly worse.  This summer has been horrible.  I stayed out late for a July 4th barbeque and the next morning awoke to a myriad of bites ranging in size from tiny to nearly 3 inches in diameter.  Besides the fact that I wanted to scratch them like crazy the larger ones are hot to touch and somewhat painful.  Solarcaine is mildly helpful - combating the heat with cooling effects - but for the large "welts" it needs to be applied almost every hour and half to even get me to stop thinking about wanting to rip part of my skin off my body.

I managed to get over this happening only to stupidly walk Silvio late one evening in shorts.  Bingo - yesterday the welts appeared.  Seeing as I didn't learn my lesson before, I put Solarcaine on the irritated areas before bed.  Needless to say, someone did not sleep well.  Today, as the welts seemed to get larger, I decided on a new plan of attack.  Enter Lanacane.  Almost immediately, that tingling need to scratch my legs off was gone.  More surprisingly, it has lasted nearly 10 hours and seemed to reduce some of the swelling.  It did not however take away the heat.  But who cares if I am not scratching every three seconds.

What have we learned: For the rest of the summer, it appears I must now walk Silvio clothed from head to toe to avoid bug bites.  This should be so much fun!!!  Then slather on the Lanacane to stop the itching.  Finally, I am the biggest baby ever!

Other news:  It has been raining since about 5:30 this evening.  I am going to be pissed off if my neighbor tries to blame tomorrow's mudpit on my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment