So what has been going on:
The math department needs to get rid of two positions. One they are doing away with because that teacher is retiring. Second one well.... since I was the last hire by the department last summer, my slot is the first one to go. Depressing, considering the amount of ::: insert finger quotes ::: stuff that I have had to put up with this year. We can now add high school math teacher to my growing list of short-term jobs I have held:
- Doctor's office assistant
- Dental office assistant
- Summer School teacher
- Learning assistant
- Adjunct instructor
- Teaching assistant
- Tax Professional
- High School Math Teacher
But there is a somewhat little silver lining. One of the middle schools is losing a math teacher - a spot that they must find a replacement for. My department head and building administrator are pushing to have me moved to this position. It would be essentially the same content and material I am teaching now - except gifted little 8th graders. It is comforting to know that they are looking out for me. In the meantime, I am sure that this move would have to get approved by the board. With the way things are going with the board and the budget, who knows if this will get approved.
I guess what has me depressed is that this week my students started asking me questions about next year. But Thursday my fourth hour students asked if I would be their teacher next year. "We really like you Ms. G." It breaks my awfully mean little heart - (I have been really mean lately trying to get them to realize that they need to take assignments seriously or else they have to take algebra again next year). I told them that I do not know if I will be their teacher next year because the budget has not been approved. "You have tenure right?" No, I do not have tenure. I have not been here 3 years. "So they can cut you for no reason?" Yep. "Man, that sucks Ms. G cause you are like the best teacher." "I even told the grade level principal that you were the best." Almost made me want to cry. My little crew of hooligans... Later that day one of my ESL students came in to ask if I could be their teacher next year. (This student had switched from a different class and has really improved their work.) I was like I'm sorry, I just don't know. "Really, cause I understand it when you teach it... not from the other teacher." Ugh.
Not sure how I will tell them at the end of the year. I have a funny feeling they will be devastated. I guess I always have a glimmer of hope that maybe the budget will turn out alright and we do not need to cut that much. But it will all stay up in the air until May 21st. That's the last day they can give me a pink slip (only 1 week before school lets out). Pretty sure it will happen before then though.
That is pretty much where things stand. Little - okay a lot depressed with having done all of this work only to have the slate wiped clean after a year. But I guess that just comes with the territory. At the very least, I will get my license out of the deal.
Other news: Doing lots of hard yard work - that is a lie. I'm paying other people money to do lots of hard yard work. Boyo is that satisfying! I just look out at that lawn and it is nicely mowed and well kept. I'm so proud.
I have about 300 pages left in Dark Tower. I think I can almost manage knocking that off this weekend.
I got an interesting offer to help create an online open-source algebra 2 textbook from one of my para's. It sounds pretty cool and would be a fun side project to work on. I might take him up on his offer.
I think I have managed to get all the heavy stuff off my chest. Wish Andy was around to give me a hug.
No comments:
Post a Comment