This morning before Andy called (hurray phone call!!) I managed to complete the Dark Tower series. I am very proud of myself.
On the whole, the story was really good. I won't much about the story itself. I really dislike when people tell what happens. Isn't that the point of reading the book is for? To discover for yourself the story and how it relates to you? But you are not out of luck - I do have a comment or two.
1. King developed some really fantastic characters. My issue occurs right where the finish line is. For a couple of the characters, he creates a really thrilling end to their story. But for the remaining characters (remaining 200 pages) the ending seems thrown together. Whatever way that he can tie up their stories he takes. It just didn't feel as thought as or as complete as say the beginning of the story. He just knows it needs to be over and to heck with the details. Plus the final battle, really anti-climactic. (okay yes, there is a final battle.)
2. Personal comment, I hate epilogues. I made the mistake of reading the epilogue of Harry Potter and did the same thing at the end of the Dark Tower. King even says at the beginning of it...if you are happy with the ending then stop reading. Yes I was happy with the ending. I got your overarching cyclic good vs evil battle. So then why in the heck did you continue to write?!?!? Adding more pages to a book makes me feel compelled to finish it from "cover to cover" - literally. The epilogue seems to sour my like for the book. Oh well. Mental note - don't ever read any other authors' epilogues.
Now on to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
No comments:
Post a Comment