Day 121

All weekend I have had this unbelievable cold feeling.  Literally.  I feel cold - numb - icicle-like.  I even have the heat on and I feel like an ice cube.  I don't have any other symptoms (cough, sneezing...) just a feeling of cold.  I admit though that I have been taking a nap at around 2 every afternoon.

There are only 3 weeks of school left.  I guess that deserves a hurrah.  This past week I went to my final new teacher's meeting.  Got the wonderful piece of paper that is my application for a professional license.  I also found out that the district will be going through the hiring process for the open middle school spot.  I honestly do not want to have to participate in the hiring/interviewing procedure.  See where it got me this year - last one hired and first one on the chopping block.  Not cool.  As much as I feel like throwing in the towel, I will go through it anyway.  At this point, any extra cash we can bring in would be fantastic and I wouldn't mind working with a different group of students.  The last thing on my list of to-do's for today is to update my resume.  Fun!

I also started working on my last alternate route class - a survey on exceptionality.  I almost wish that I had gotten a chance to take this last summer.  It would have helped so much.  I have a bunch of students on IEP's mixed in with my "at-risk" kids - so it has been one heck of an experience.  Next year (if there is one) will definitely be different.  I am trying to get as much of this course done as I can prior to finals.  I need all my grades done by May 28th so clearly that week is going to be difficult if I have class work and grading to get done.

I received an interesting proposal from our ESL teacher.  The state is in desperate need of ESL teachers.  The ESL teacher came to tell me that the state is waiving any sort of formal coursework and accepting teachers if they pass the Praxis English as a Second Language exam.  Oh did I mention I have ESL students thrown in the mix in my classes too?  But from what I hear, they are doing really well, they really like me and they understand me.  That is the reason the Esl teacher came to talk to me.  It is great the hear that my students think so highly of me.  I joked that it must be that I'm from New Jersey that they understand me and me them. 

Hmm, it says day 121 - by my count that means we are about a third of the way through the deployment (supposing it lasts a year).  Nothing really of note this week to worry about - except if I will get any sort of information about being non-renewed.  A total of 10 days is how many they have to make a move.  I really hate sitting around and waiting for things to happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment