Wow. Has it really been 9 years since that fateful day?? I remember it like it was yesterday. I was living in a quad with Dana, Laurie, and Margaret at Dickinson. It was a Tuesday and I was getting ready for my Intro to Women's Studies course. We had the television on in our common room. The news was on. And all of a sudden it starts. I remember remarking that it was something straight out of a Tom Clancy novel. (Indeed the scene is just like one in a Tom Clancy novel.) It all happened so quickly. We head out to class but you can tell the mood was not normal as everyone gathered around talking before class started. Our professor came in to cancel class. Sometimes there are events that are so much more important than school. I remember walking to the HUB. Lots of students just watching the tv's there in shock. I remember calling home that day to see if my uncle was alright - while not in the towers, he was nearby.
Today I think of it from a slightly different angle. Coldblooded massacre - that has been the reason for the start of two wars, and two tours of duty in Iraq for Andy. I am heartbroken in more ways than one this year. It is unfortunate that tolerance is not the way of the world. It is still filled with hatred for those who are different. I am not sure if it will be a problem that will ever be resolved. One can only dream.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On a slightly happier note - I wrote up a whole bunch of lessons. So I am set through Chapter 2 - which brings me to the beginning of October. I think that I might have some issues with my PLC group this year. Last year was pretty good. Interesting topics. But we have added several other teachers to the group this year. It seems I have already been called out for not "participating enough" by one of these new members (not by name I assure you - generalization of the new/young teachers in the group). I eased the tension by stating that "while I don't speak up frequently, as a new teacher I am here absorbing all that wonderful knowledge you experienced teachers are sharing". It was enough to get a chuckle from the group. But I think I will be on this teacher's "list" from here on out.
I love love love my faucet. The sink seems so much bigger and I can move dishes and pots and pans freely.
Big Love to my new cousin Declan. He's a cutie pie.
Hurray - Gamecock win over Georgia! We are now 2 - 0.
No comments:
Post a Comment