Day 14

Go me - two weeks down.  Isn't that amazing?  I am actually surprised at how quickly it has gone - although some moments have taken longer to get through than others.

Managed 3 weeks done with the school year.  By my calculations, there are only 17 more left to go.  There has been a little hoopla at the school recently.  First, there was an inspection of the school cafeteria.  That did not go over to well.  Apparently, lots of poop, flies, and rodents.  Consequently, I have a lot of my students asking for money more than usual or complaining how much they can not go to McDonald's anymore for lunch.  And yes, I have told them no on the first account, and there is always Panera and Taco Bell for the second.

Secondly, the days off for snow have caused an uproar.  Now, I have no issue making up the day at the end of the year.  Mind you this means coming in on June 1st.  But apparently this is not the option.  There was a big Board of Ed meeting where they decided to extend the school day by 12 minutes (5 minutes earlier start time and 7 minute later end time) - thus ensuring that we are covered for 2 more snow days and we get out by May 28th.  This does not really bother me either.  But my students were not happy.  Most of them have difficulty showing up to first hour anyway at 7:45 am.  There has not been word as to how the minutes will get added to the schedule.  But if they decide to just extend first hour and 7th hour I am totally down with that - I have PLC and Plan time both of those hours.

I pretty much laid out the next month or so of teaching.  Hurray, for giving my students the opportunity to learn all of the standards before they take the state assessment.  I hope that they will do well.  I have a sinking feeling about that but I am trying not to get dragged down by it.  My students in general - gosh, I feel like I finally get one group to understand the simple idea that this is school, and the group who figured it out the day before totally forgets.  I can not win with this group.  It must be bad.  When I attend the district new teacher meeting and they ask the new teachers what the title of a movie for the first year would be called, I responded with the Class of 2012.  The district heads asked for an explanation - which I gave them.  There response was surprise, laughter, and ooooooh, that class.  Good luck with that.  But I shouldn't complain.  I wouldn't want a boring class.   Drama just suits me - even though there is no drama in mathematics.

Major home battle - I noticed that one of our outside lights above the garage is out.  I went out two days ago - climbed on the ladder, and spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get the lightbulb out.  No success.  Today, I was staring at another homes' garage lamps whilst walking Silvio and figured it out.  So I got out the ladder again.  Carefully climbed up and after about 15 minutes of unscrewing screws that I couldn't see (no way in heck I was climbing up that high) I managed to get the top off the lamp and the light bulb out.  Now I need to go to Home Depot to buy some similar bulbs and I will be up on the ladder again.

You can send thanks for this post to my Double Bloody Mary that I just had.  At least I no longer feel the aches and pains of the week of school anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment