Herb Chicken

Lately, I have been really good at making dinner for most of the evenings of the week.  Unfortunately, meal time has been pushed back to a really late hour due to hubby's work.    I have been finding it harder and harder to have the energy to test out new recipes or even make old recipes when I would rather fall face first into my dinner plate.  Then I remembered...ah, slow cooker!  Make in the morning or early afternoon...then it is ready whenever hubby comes home.  Why didn't I think of that sooner?!?!  This one comes from the Beer Cookbook.

Herb Chicken
Ingredients
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
6 cloves of garlic
12 oz of beer (I used Shiner Blonde)

Steps
1.  Salt and pepper the chicken breasts.
2.  Saute chicken in a frying pan until it begins to brown.
3.  Place chicken in slow cooker.
4.  Mix rosemary, sage, thyme, garlic, and beer.
5.  Pour mixture over chicken.  Cover and Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.

Final Product:

As you can see, I served this chicken over some long and wild rice.  It was surprisingly light and refreshing.  The chicken was not overly "beer-ey".  I think choosing the Blonde rather than a stout made a huge difference.  Unfortunately, a bottle of beer creates a lot of leftover juices.  I did not want to leave it there but I had nothing to sop it up with.  Next time I make it, I would consider possibly adding 1/2 - 1 full cup of rice or possibly orzo pasta in to suck up some of the juices.  I think then the rice would fully complement the chicken.

3 comments:

  1. When you make a long grain and wild rice like this, do you make it from scratch or from a rice box? I haven't had much luck with wild rice on my own and it tend to be too bland--but the boxes, though we've found a pretty tasty brand, are so high in sodium. Any tips or recipes to pass along to the rice-challenged? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make it from a box. I have yet to try making it on my own. We use the Hyvee store brand and it is pretty salty. Hmm, maybe I will look into finding a recipe that isn't too salty. It was just one of those sorts of days where I didn't want to do a lot of work for dinner. So box rice it is!

      Delete
    2. Hey, no judgments here! We usually get the "Near East" brand; they have some nice flavors and different kinds of rice. Their long grain and wild mix is a favorite. Some days (most days, really) it's super helpful to just be able to put it on the stove and forget about it for 20 minutes, but it's still one of those things I feel like I should be able to do. Let me know if you end up finding anything!

      Delete