Homemade Baby Foods

Haha!  A crossover label post!  Cooking and JT together.  Insanity!

So, I spent part of this wonderfully long weekend trying my hand at homemade baby food. The first thing I needed to do was determine what would be good to try.  I had ordered a couple of books from Amazon and they all came to same general consensus.  All had apples, sweet potatoes, bananas, and peas as good first foods.

So it was off to the grocery store to pick up what I could find.  Now, I will be totally honest.  I feel weird in the produce section.  Stick me in the pasta/soup aisle and I am snug as a bug in a rug.  Produce though - weird.

It probably comes from a long standing aversion to fruits and vegetables.  I do not like the texture of many fruits and vegetables.  It has taken me a very long time to become okay with things like - broccoli, sweet potatoes, even beans.  Notice I did not mention any fruits - I still can not do fruits.  Fruit juice, I can barely stomach.  Fruits are a scary animal.

So I felt like a fish out of water in the produce section, picking out food that I can barely stomach but know would be the best things for my little boy.  I picked up a bunch of apples, a very large sweet potato, and some bananas (although I think the bananas may be eaten by the hubby before I get to smushing them up).

So I got to cooking my baby food.  I started with the apples.  I initially intended to steam all the fruits and veggies.  When it came right down to it, the microwave is here for a reason.  I just popped the apples (golden delicious) in for a few minutes until they became tender.  I then stuck them in my blender along with about a 1/4 cup of water.  Hit puree and let the blender do it's work.  In fact, I didn't even leave it on that long.  I have found that JT loves his cereal to be on the considerably lumpy side - so the apples were a bit lumpy.  Three apples were enough to fill my special baby food ice cube trays.

I cleaned everything to prevent cross contamination and got started on the sweet potato.  Ugh!  The directions said to peel and chop the little son of a gun.  Never again.  Sweet potatoes are tubers that do not like being cut.  If John really enjoys it, I will probably try to cook it skin and all in the microwave, then scoop out the yummy insides while it is still hot.  I added about 3/4 a cup of water to the blender for the sweet potato puree.

Don't they look so pretty.  I am impressed with how easy it is.  You just need a little bit of time and patience.  Voila!  I have baby food for the next week or so.  Hopefully JT will enjoy them.

Next up - pears, peas, bananas, avocados, and carrots!

2 comments:

  1. Cook the sweet potato in the microwave - just be sure to poke it a few times with a fork just like you do regular potatoes.
    Love those little trays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the plan next time around - supposing JT likes them in the first place!

      Delete