Avgolemono Soup or...

How we find out that I am unable to Boil a Chicken!

So, while in Disney one of my new favorite restaurants is Kouzzina's by Cat Cora.  Okay, it is not new.  But compared to some of the other restaurants there it still has that new shimmer to it.  I love getting a bowl of the Avgolemono.  So I decided to go on a search for the recipe.  I found it here on the food Network.  I was a bit intimidated by the whole chicken but well, I leave the story for a later.

Avgolemono

Ingredients:
1 (3 pound) free range chicken
2 quarts water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 bay leaves
1 leek, cleaned and quartered
1 carrot, peeled and quartered
2/3 cup aborio rice
2 large eggs
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper

Steps:
1.  Place the chicken in a large pot with 2 quarts cold water, enough to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, skimming when necessary.
2.  In a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the onions. Sweat the onions until clear. Set aside.
3.  When chicken is cooked through, remove from the broth. Let the chicken cool and pull the meat from the bones. Dice into large cubes. Set aside.
4.  Add the onion, bay leaves, leek, and carrot to the broth and simmer for 1 hour. When finished, remove the carrot and leek from the broth and add the rice. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to medium high to simmer until the rice is cooked to al dente, about 30 minutes. Add the chicken back into the broth. Add more water if needed.
5.  In a small bowl beat the eggs and lemon juice together. Pour 2 cups of broth slowly into the bowl of egg and lemon, whisking continuously. Once all the broth is incorporated, add the mixture into the pot of chicken soup and stir to blend well throughout. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

The Finished Product:

First, my story.  I thawed out my chicken - which was closer to 4 pounds than 3.  I follow step one.  Between step 1 and 3, I manage to get step 2 completed along with get side tracked by JT and keeping my work area clean.  All in all, I think I left the chicken in for an hour.  Apparently that was not long enough.  I take it out to find that while the chicken is white on the outer layers, the inside was not done.  I quickly pulled out a fry pan and start tearing chicken off the bone and frying it up.  For a fix it, it did not turn out to badly.  I did not have fresh lemons on hand so I used Real Lemon.  It was good but not quite like I remember from the restaurant.

I plan on trying it again - it's great calorie wise and still really filling with the rice and chicken.  Next time I might just boil several chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken.  Definitely will get a couple of fresh lemons as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment