Getting back in form

As you may remember, I set a fitness goal for myself - to be ready and able to run a 10k road race at the beginning of August.  Well, I am eight weeks away (scary!) - and this is the time to really hunker down to set out a plan to at least be able to run 6.2 miles non stop.

First, I needed new shoes.  We have a great running/shoe store here that is owned and operated by runners.  They know about stability control and running form.  They know their shoes inside and out.  They also have great gadgets (watches, hats, clothes) to help you on your running quest.  I have always ran in either Asics or Saucony.  After a getting checked out, they say sure there is an Asics but give this style of Brooks a try.  Gosh, it was great.  I had never had a pair of shoes that fit like that.  Happy feet make for happy running.

Second, I know I needed an app.  We live in the gps phone age.  I did not want to purchase a gps system for my runs.  I carry my phone with me in case of emergency - so finding a gps app should do the trick.  I really like the MapMyRun app.  It is pretty simple to use.  When I go online, I can view all my workouts for the month.  It's great to see the color coding - runs, elliptical workouts, pilates - shoot I even include the marathon cleaning sessions as a workout.  It also keeps count of your weekly mileage - am I having a good week, or have I not made it out of the house at all?

Third, running with a jogging stroller takes a lot of getting used too.  I have managed four runs over the past week and a half.  I am still not comfortable with it.  I am pretty sure it has to do with how I store my energy.  I store a lot of it in my arms.  I use my arms to really dig deep and get going.  Holding onto the stroller really tires me out and does not allow me to use the energy in my arms.  I am glad I decided to start my working out early. Running a 10k without practicing with the stroller, would be a nightmare.

I am starting to feel confident about running again.  I know I am nowhere near as good as I was in high school or college but I don't really care about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment