Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Cake

I decided I would make a cake for Andy's birthday at the beginning of November.  I didn't want to just make him a plain old cake and then play with my fondant skills so I looked for something new.  I found this in Paula Deen's Holiday Baking 2012 magazine. I thought it was fantastic and not super difficult to make.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Cake
from Paula Deen's Holiday Baking 2012


Ingredients
3/4 cup butter
10 (1 oz) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs separated

Steps
1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray a 9 inch round cake pan with nonstick cook spray.  Line the pan with parchment paper, letting the edges of parchment hang over the side of the pan.
2.  In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, chocolate, and peanut butter over medium low heat.  Cook, stirring frequently, until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.  Remove from heat.
3.  Whisk sugar into butter mixture for 2 minutes.  Add egg yolks, one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
4.  In a medium bowl, beat egg white at high speed with a mixer until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.
5.  Bake for 1 hour.  Let cool for 1 hour.  Cover and chill for 4 hours.  Serve with Peanut Butter Sauce.

Peanut Butter Sauce
(I have not actually made this yet)

Ingredients
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 cup creamy peanut butter

Steps
1.  In a medium saucepan, combine cream, brown sugar, and egg yolks.  Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened.
2.  Add peanut butter, whisking until smooth.  Serve sauce warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment