Feast of the Seven Fishes

Last year on Christmas Eve, we had a knock down, drag out Feast of the Seven Fishes.  (For those of you who are unfamiliar with the meal, Wikipedia gives a quick overview of meal.)  We had our last dish at 11 pm.  Don't get me wrong, it was fabulous.  But we were totally unprepared for all the work and the energy to eat all day long.  So this year, I have gone a little away from tradition to try to serve all of our fishes in a "tapas" style - no huge servings and some untraditional recipes.  Below are the courses I have planned:


1.  Shrimp and Cocktail sauce (no more than 2 pounds of shrimp - last year we had something like 10 pounds...to much shrimp)
2.  Lobster Raviolis - a fabulous delicatessen, Dolci and Clemente's, makes Lobster Raviolis (12 in a package), and I plan on letting everyone have 2 raviolis along with either a pesto or cream sauce
3.  Stuffed Clams - okay, the local food store, Hyvee, has some great prepared stuffed clams and all we need to do is drop them in the oven for a bit.
4.  Tuna Salad/Tuna Melts - alright, here is where I went totally off the map.  Mini tuna melts are really in no way Italian at all.  But they are easy, quick to make and already bite-sized.
5.  Salmon Skewers or Lox and Bagels - I figured kid-sized portions of Salmon would make perfect appetizer sizes.  I also couldn't decided if we just wanted to start at breakfast with cured salmon, cream cheese, and bagels.  Get one fish knocked out really early.
6.  Crab Polenta - this one is a little bit more meal like, but I honestly wanted something other than crab cakes or the mess of crab legs
7.  Fish Tacos - I like making these with the added bonus that it is super fast.

What are your Christmas Eve meal plans?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas eve! I hope you have a great time with family and eating all that yummy food. :) Since you asked...we're spending a quiet little Christmas with our new little family, and all of the family is coming out over the next few weeks. Our Christmas dinner is going to include my mom's cheesy-potato dish, my doctored-up Brussels sprouts (http://foodiesuzy.wordpress.com/2012/12/14/sprouts-and-seeds/) and two new recipes, Alton's ham (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/city-ham-recipe/index.html) and an apple-pear sauce (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/spiced-apple-pear-sauce-recipe/index.html). Hope to talk to you soon! Merry Christmas to you and yours! <3

    ReplyDelete