Chicken......and pears

On Wednesday, JT took a new turn in his food explorations.  For the first time ever, he experienced meat!  I was excited about this and had a bit more fun making it than my usual stuff fruit/veggie in microwave, cook, then mix in blender.  I picked up a package of ground chicken meat.  I actually did something close to cooking.  I dumped the package into a saute pan, added a bit of water, and then sauteed the chicken on medium heat.  Hurray!  I plopped the finished product in the blender to break the chicken up further.  Poured that into my food containers and set them in the freezer.

Boy, I had a good time doing all that.  But the eating part is what matters.  JT did not have a great response.  The meat has more substance and less water.  So even when blended, it comes out in a very gritty paste.  Let's just say lunch was a dud.  I even tried adding some broccoli to it.  No go.  I got some advice from other moms - try adding some sweet fruits/veggies to the mix - pears, pumpkins, apples.

Dinner rolls around and I decide not to let chicken die like I let the avocados (partially because cooking a package of ground chicken makes about 8 2-oz baby sized meals).  I heat up a container of chicken and heat up the last two "cubes" of pears.  The pears definitely smoothed out the texture of the chicken.  I also went in for a taste myself.  It seemed a weird idea but why not test it out.  I was surprised at how good it was.  It was not overly sweet and I still got that chicken flavor.  JT loved it.  Now he has a what I feel is a more normal type diet - cereal in the am, fruit or veggie at lunch, meat and fruit/veggie for dinner.  If only I ate so well!

Sorry for the lack of picture on this one.  Sometimes I just do not catch everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment